Social Disability Lawyer Blog

Stay up to date with the latest news in the world of social disability law provided by the Los Angeles based Law Office of Irene Ruzin.

Are you eligible for SSDI if you have dual citizenships?

How to receice social security when you have dual citizenship

With the onset of technology, open networking sites and the world becoming a global village more people fall in love and marry with citizens of other nationalities. Many people move homes to settle in with their partners in their resident countries. Good news is, the US Social Security Administration has partnered with many countries on avoidance of social security taxes in case a person decides to change countries or already has dual citizenships.

You might marry, or settle in another country for a job or business, while keeping your SSDI program in the US. Through this partnership, you would not have to pay double taxes on the same amount of income to two different countries for social security. You may however, receive social security disability benefits in the country you became disabled in regardless of your citizenship. You may check if your country falls into the list of eligible citizenships under this program:

  1. Italy (November 1, 1978)
  2. Germany (December 1, 1979)
  3. Switzerland (November 1, 1980)
  4. Belgium (July 1, 1984)
  5. Norway (July 1, 1984)
  6. Canada (August 1, 1984)
  7. United Kingdom (January 1, 1985)
  8. Sweden (January 1, 1987)
  9. Spain (April 1, 1988)
  10. France (July 1, 1988)
  11. Portugal (August 1, 1989)
  12. Netherlands (November 1, 1990)
  13. Austria (November 1, 1991)
  14. Finland (November 1, 1992)
  15. Ireland (September 1, 1993)
  16. Luxembourg (November 1, 1993)
  17. Greece (September 1, 1994)
  18. South Korea (April 1, 2001)
  19. Chile (December 1, 2001)
  20. Australia (October 1, 2002)
  21. Japan (October 1, 2005)
  22. Denmark (October 1, 2008)
  23. Czech Republic (January 1, 2009)
  24. Poland (March 1, 2009)
  25. Slovak Republic (May 1, 2014)
  26. Mexico (Signed on June 29, 2004, but not yet in effect)

If you or your spouse is a US citizen and your country is not in the list, or if you have a specific problem regarding your disability status you may contact our attorneys directly for one-to-one consultation.

Social security disability for old age, retired, s...
Would I be able to return to work if I become bett...


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Monday, 09 December 2019